AD

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

My "Loving" Review

I went into the theater not expecting to be wowed by the movie “Loving,” but to my surprise it really was as the critics have been saying one of the best movies this year. The acting by the main stars Ruth Negga and Joel Edgerton was flawless and believable. The cinematography was amazing. I felt as though I was transported back in time.

Though I am not in an interracial union, there were a lot of things that were relatable. I immediately picked up on the fact that Mildred Loving was shy. Negga portrayed her perfectly – soft, demure, and feminine. Even though Loving was quiet in nature, she was instrumental in getting the ball rolling and changing history. She wrote the letter that resulted in the Lovings getting an ACLU lawyer, and she also contacted the media several times. I could also relate to the rural setting, being from a small, farming North Carolina town.

As I was watching the movie, I remembered that I was supposed to audition for the Laura character. I had to decline though because I was in the process of moving to Houston. But it was interesting to see who got it and how she approached the role. The actress who got it, Ardrene Ward-Hammond did an excellent job. I even spotted a North Carolina actor who had several prominent scenes named Will Dalton.

If you get a chance, you should definitely go check out the movie. You will be inspired and glad you did.



No comments:

Post a Comment